Saturday, July 12, 2014

Random observations in Turkey - July 2014

- There are many old Renault cars still driving around here

- Where are all the women?

- I haven't seen any single piece of media depicting women in a sexually objectifying way. I did see a picture of Pamela Anderson holding a bag of crisps though, but her (probably in not so many clothes wrapped) body was so to say cut off, leaving only her head left on the picture.

- Hardly anyone seems to understand me here when I speak English

- Minors working on building sides and driving motor cycles (boys, of course)

- The majority of Chinese passengers do not speak English, which often leads to unpleasant situations during the landing procedure

- Especially when visiting a bazaar, I feel kind of watched. Mothers point me out to their children, after which they kindly start to wave. Furthermore, lots of Asian passengers had a picture taken with me.

- Atatürk sculptures and his depiction on flags

- Clean, beautiful and calm street dogs which are not begging for food

-  Passengers from India seem to ask a lot of questions during the flight. "What is that tunnel for?" or "Why is that other balloon flying so high?".

- It's pleasant to be from a likable little country. People respond very enthusiastic when I state I'm from the Netherlands.

- I haven't seen clear signs of poverty at all

- Somehow, all people with whom I spoke here, wanting to say 'Swedish', all said 'Swiss' instead


After 13 fantastic flights and many early wake-ups it's time for a well deserved rest now. Pictures will follow soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment