Sunday, June 23, 2013

Suomi longings

A summer in Finland. I hoped it would become a yearly tradition. Unfortunately after some lovely weeks in both 2011 and 2012 I become more and more aware of the fact that the summer of 2013 will take place at a latitude slightly more southwards. Currently I’m fulfilling an internship which is part already of my third semesters’ curriculum. Furthermore a long desired balloon-focused trip to France is awaiting for my dad and me. 

Lupins in Finland

Especially now around midsummer I’m longing back to the time I spent in Mikkeli together with my self proclaimed Finnish mom, Anu. It was a delight to make my daily bike trips to the summer school lectures while enjoying the strong floral aroma’s being at its best. When back at the cozy little home I could talk with Anu for hours. Crazy, we only spent two summers together and yet our bond is so special. I’m still amazed by her trust after my couch surfing request back in 2011. Without ever having seen me in real life she offered me her couch for over three weeks. Hospitality at its best!

 Anu

In Finland I can really enjoy the small things, the non-understandable Finnish words from the tv’s background noise, the scent of sauna warmth and birch tree leafs while brushing my teeth in the bathroom and the everlasting bright sky looked upon from my bed in the middle of the living room. When living in Tallinn Finland will be just a two-hour boat ride away. Guess I’ll definitely have to make use of that!


No comments:

Post a Comment